Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Compendium for New Brides (circa 1965)

    So I was in a used book store this morning wandering around in a romance novel daze.  When it occured to me, women in the South are seriously repressed.  The sheer numbers of romance novels alone was enough to have a sort of epic revelation.  People think southern women are so demure and straight laced?  Not the case according to the evidence.  I think they are really just nasty closet pervs and can only experience that thrill with contraband bare chested, bossom heaving, half lidded eyes, and flowing locks.  After my moment of clarity I was wandering around a "homemaking" section and discovered this little gem of a book.  Published in 1965 "Happy Living, A Guidebook for Brides" is chock full of nuggets of wisdom, lists of neccessities, recipes, and helpful hints.  Some chapter examples include: Your trousseau of table, bed, and bath linens, How to keep house, The Bride cooks breakfast, and For Bridegrooms only.
    You can imagine my mid-century minded joy at the discovery of such a treasure and I felt the need to share a few choice tidbits from the book with you here.  "You are twice blessed when you own things that are as beautiful as they are useful", "Now that you are about to play the role of Mrs. Homemaker, why not become a "method" actress?  It is the lady with the method who gets things done the fastest, thereby saving precious time and energy for more creative endeavor", and lastly, for the men, "If you are one of those men who has never bought anything but sports jackets and fishing rods, here are some suggestions:" (inrefernce to purchasing home furnishings).
   Needless to say I am enthralled with this book and randomly scream out quotes to my roommate while laughing hysterically.  Yet somewhere deep down I enjoy the order and straightforwardness of the books, ideas.  What that says about me?  IDK- Lola


Creamed Eggs in Corned Beef Crust...WHAT were they thinking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment