Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Demolition De-virginification

   Alright ladies and gentlemen, IT has finally happened!  I lost my Demolition Derby virginity!  Kay, so my roommate and I took my son to the county fair this past week.  Oh my Jesus, where to start? 
   We shall start with the cake competition.  My roommate entered the amateur cake decorating competition.Needless to say she rocked it out!  Featuring butter cream covered off-set dummy cakes accented by hand cut black fondant zebra stripes(I did those!) displayed on a zebra print cake board, and topped with a black and white beaded topper.  Her cake took first place in her division and she won a whopping $10.  We are going to ignore the fact that she didn't take best-in-show and all the small town politics involved in County Fair food judging competitions, and focus on the fact that the other decorated cakes looked like someone took a Wal-Mart cake dropped it on the floor and scrapped it all back together and the fact that at least she beat them.

  Now we move on to the fabulousness of a warm summer night, the smells of pizza, and funnel cake, the flashing lights, and ringing bells of a small town fair.  I love the candy colored flashing lights, the oddly shaped little people running the booths, the rotten toothed little kids running around on leashes with Gus-Gus (the fluffy mouse from Cinderella) shirts on and bottles of Coke and Mountain Dew in their sticky paws, and the horrific disease ridden "prizes" that float above your head raining down lice and bedbugs on the heads of unsuspecting passers-by.  I love people watching though, all those little gag-inducing high school sweethearts are enough to make me want to stab myself in the face!  But the Funnel cake ROCKS!   
  Saving the best for last, the Demolition Derby!  It is very odd to me that my FAVORITE part of the evening was the dirty, loud, event that involved cars smashing into each other.  But just the sheer masculinity of it appealed to the Bad Boy Magnet in me.  The loud growling engines, the relentless slamming into other cars until the just can't go anymore, one car got flipped over on it's side, and at the end someone got $50.  Well maybe it isn't such a mystery to me why I like it anymore ;) -Lola

1 comment: